Note: Dear Reader, we hope that you enjoy this throwback issue of Giant Mandarin. When it comes to language learning, revision is crucial. What’s more, as a passion project, throwback issues help keep the show running. Thanks for reading and we’re looking forward to bringing you new content!
Welcome to this week’s issue of the Giant Mandarin newsletter. This week’s newsletter is on the topic of cities.
In this week’s Elementary–Intermediate Words we include the names of some of the world’s most well-known major and capital cities, as well as the words for some of the different forms of transport in a city. In Advanced Words, we include words for describing the different places in cities, as well as an idiom for describing large crowds and the Chinese word for urbanization.
Finally, in Supplementary Reading we suggest three English-language articles that provide different perspectives on how cities change and evolve. We hope you enjoy this week’s newsletter!
- 城市 chéngshì - city 🏙
大城市 dàchéngshì - large city; big city
小城市 xiǎochéngshì - small city
- 座 zuò - measure word for many large, immovable objects, including cities and buildings
- 首都 shǒudū - capital city
北京 Běijīng - Beijing, the capital city of China 🇨🇳
首尔 Shǒu'ěr - Seoul, the capital city of South Korea 🇰🇷
东京 Dōngjīng - Tokyo, the capital city of Japan 🇯🇵
马尼拉 Mǎnílā - Manila, the capital city of the Philippines 🇵🇭
华盛顿 Huáshèngdùn - Washington DC, the capital city of the United States 🇺🇸
纽约 Niǔyuē - New York 🇺🇸
渥太华 Wòtàihuá - Ottawa, the capital city of Canada 🇨🇦
多伦多 Duōlúnduō - Toronto 🇨🇦
伦敦 Lúndūn - London, the capital city of the United Kingdom 🇬🇧
巴黎 Bālí - Paris, the capital city of France 🇫🇷
柏林 Bólín - Berlin, the capital city of Germany 🇩🇪
罗马 Luómǎ - Rome, the capital city of Italy 🇮🇹
马德里 Mǎdélǐ - Madrid, the capital city of Spain 🇪🇸
- 地铁 dìtiě - subway; metro 🚇
- 公共汽车 gōnggòngqìchē - bus 🚌
- 出租车 chūzūchē - taxi; cab 🚕
- 交通 jiāotōng - traffic 🚦
- 堵车 dǔchē - traffic jam 🚗 🚗 🚗
- 城市中心 chéngshì zhōngxīn - city center
工业区 gōngyèqū - industrial district 👷♂️
商业区 shāngyèqū - business district 👨💼
- 办公室 bàngōngshì - office 🏢
- 公寓 gōngyù - apartment
- 景点 jǐngdiǎn - tourist spot 🤳
- 商场 shāngchǎng - shopping center 🏬
- 人山人海 rénshānrénhǎi - very crowded (literally, mountains and seas of people) 🏔 🌊
- 城市居民 chéngshì jūmín - city resident
- 城市化 chéngshìhuà - urbanization
北上广 Běishàngguǎng - Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou (abbreviation)
北京 Běijīng - Beijing, the capital city of China
上海 Shànghǎi - Shanghai
广州 Guǎngzhōu - Guangzhou
- How Cities Will Fossilise, David Farrier, BBC Future
- Superstar Cities Are in Trouble, Derek Thompson, The Atlantic
- The New Economics of Global Cities,The Economist
That brings us to the end of this week’s newsletter.
What did you think of this week’s newsletter?
Please get in touch to let us know what you think. We’ll read every message.
Thanks for reading and see you next Thursday!